These Turkey and Kale Stuffed Shiitake Mushrooms are packed with flavor, high in protein, and half the work of your typical stuffed mushrooms.
- Shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed (any size, but medium/large caps work best)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms (additional from caps)
- 1 cup Kale, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- Oil and cayenne
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Asiago cheese
- In a skillet on medium heat sautée onions, celery, garlic, and diced shiitakes for 3 minutes.
- Add turkey. Cook until almost all the pink color is gone.
- Add kale and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire. Allow kale to wilt.
- Place shiitake caps on a lined baking sheet. Lightly coat with oil. Dust both sides with Cayenne pepper.
- Spoon turkey/kale mixture onto prepared mushroom caps.
- Place caps in preheated oven (350 degrees). Cook for 6 minutes.
- Add cheese. Cook for 5-6 more minutes.
- Serve warm.
Note: I used 8 medium/large caps and had extra turkey mixture for leftovers. Use only enough cheese to taste to keep it low calorie.
Natalie is a M.S. in Nutrition & Performance candidate; anticipated completion December 2021. She is a level 2 Precision Nutrition coach and holds a B.S. in Health Sciences. Natalie has helped hundreds of clients simplify nutrition and reach their goals since she joined the Born Fitness team in 2017.